What is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry, commonly known as sleep dentistry, helps patients feel calm and relaxed during dental procedures. It is an effective approach for patients who experience anxiety or discomfort visiting the dentist office. From an extensive extraction to calm nerves, we provide four different types of sedation options to offer the appropriate care for your specific needs.
Who Might Need Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry can benefit a wide range of patients, including those who:
- Experience dental anxiety or phobia
- Suffer with a low pain threshold
- Need a lengthy or complex dental procedure
- Exhibit a sensitive gag reflex
- Have a physical disability that makes sitting still for long periods challenging
Sedation Dentistry Statistics
- Fear or anxiety was the reason why 7.6% had ever missed, cancelled, or avoided a dental appointment.1
- Those with high fear, 49.2% had avoided a dental appointment at some point because of fear or anxiety as opposed to only 5.2% from the no or low fear group.1
- Dental anxiety levels have been reported to be in the range of 4.2% to 20.9%.1
Fear or anxiety was the reason why 7.6% had ever missed, cancelled, or avoided a dental appointment1
Dental anxiety levels have been reported to be in the range of 4.2% to 20.9%1
Of those with high fear, 49.2% had avoided a dental appointment at some point because of fear or anxiety as opposed to only 5.2% from the no or low fear group1
Why Choose Dentists of Melbourne for Your Sedation Dentistry Needs in Melbourne
At Dentists of Melbourne, we understand that visiting the dentist can be a stressful experience. That is why we are committed to providing a pleasant experience. Depending on your needs and the complexity of the procedure, our team of experienced professionals will provide the appropriate level of sedation for you.
Here are a few reasons to choose us for your sedation dentistry needs:
- We use advanced, proven technologies and the latest techniques.
- We create a personalized treatment plan providing personalized attention to your needs.
- We work with you to offer affordable sedation dentistry services.
You will be in good hands with our team.
Our Sedation Dental Team
At Dentists of Melbourne in Melbourne, our team of experienced professionals understands that many patients feel anxious or uncomfortable during dental procedures. That's why we offer a range of sedation options to help ensure a comfortable and stress-free experience.
Sedation Dentistry Helps Calm The Nerves
Sedation dentistry is crucial for patients who experience anxiety or discomfort during dental procedures. With sedation options, these patients can receive necessary treatments without experiencing unnecessary stress or pain.
Don't let dental anxiety hold you back from getting the care you need. Call Dentists of Melbourne in Melbourne today to schedule your sedation dentistry appointment and experience the comfort and relaxation you deserve during your dental procedures. Our friendly team is here to help!
Dental Issues That Could Require Emergency Dental Care
- Toothache or sever dental pain
- Broken or chipped tooth
- Lost or knocked out tooth
- Swelling or infection in the mouth or jaw
- A lost or losse orthodontic appliance (such as a bracket or wire)
- Trauma or injury to the moth or jaw
- Abscess or pus-filled pocket on the gums
- A broken or lost dental restoration (such as a filling or crown)
- Gum bleeding that doesn't stop
Sedation Dentistry FAQs
Is sedation dentistry safe?
Yes, sedation dentistry is safe when administered by a trained and experienced dental professional. Our team will review your medical history and work with you to determine the best type of sedation for your needs.
Will I be asleep during the procedure?
No, sedation dentistry helps you feel relaxed and comfortable, but you will still be awake and able to communicate with our team.
How long does the sedation last?
The length of its effects depends on the type of sedation used. Our team will provide you with detailed instructions and information about what to expect during and after your sedation.
Will I remember anything from the procedure?
You may have limited memory of the procedure, but most patients do not remember the details of the treatment.
How can I prepare for sedation dentistry?
Our team will provide you with detailed instructions on how to prepare for your sedation, including any dietary restrictions or other requirements before your appointment.
1Chanpong B, Haas DA, Locker D. Need and demand for sedation or general anesthesia in dentistry: a national survey of the Canadian population. Anesth Prog. 2005 Spring;52(1):3-11. doi: 10.2344/0003-3006(2005)52[3:NADFSO]2.0.CO;2. PMID: 15859442; PMCID: PMC2526218. Accessed 20 June 2023 from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2526218/.